Thursday, January 31, 2013

Gigi

Gigi is in the hospital.  First report was that she'd fallen, which is significant enough at 94, but also that she was also only semi-conscious.  She'd fallen a couple months ago without breaking anything but was taking a long time to heal.  I don't know if it was because this was her second fall, the words semi-conscious, or knowing we were overdue for a visit but I put on my out of office greetings and told the boss I was going California.

Never have I been so grateful for Matt's flight benefits.  I drove home, threw god knows what into a bag and was at the airport with nary a thought.  My sister called from the hospital mid-process and said it wasn't just a fall, she had an aneurysm and bleeding in her brain.  Apparently it's a LITTLE aneurysm and brain bleed, as these things go, and she has improved, is talking & answering questions appropriately, but I'm sitting next to her in ICU right now and... well, she's in ICU and apparently has a DNR.  A fractured hip would have been better.  I don't even know what to say about the DNR.

I've spent time in the NICU, PICU, and now the ICU, watching people I love sleep with one eye and their heart rate monitors with the other.  Not exactly a trifecta of awesomeness but we are very very fortunate - fortunate she's getting good care, that I was able to come here to be with her without pawning my car for a plane ticket, and that our family, for all its warts & blow ups, rallies when it matters.

We're also apparently damn lucky she's here at all.  She was on the phone with her bank when they heard a sudden clatter.  Instead of hanging up a probable dropped call, they called 911.  Her neighbor rode with her in the ambulance and knew to call my dad.  Much as I don't like most of them much of the time, people matter.

If y'all have been reading along, you'll know I'm not religious and wouldn't know a prayer from a telegram (I'm going to hell for sure) but if you want to send some warm healing thoughts out into the universe, I wouldn't mind.  This blog exists because Gigi got a computer one Christmas and it was easier to post her great-grandchildren's pictures on line, then to print & ship.  Laziness, the seed of every great idea.  

4 comments:

  1. Warm healing thoughts have been sent out to the universe. Ever so thankful that the Bank called 911 and thankful for the neighbor that accompanied her in the ambulance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if you don't know a prayer from a telegram from a warm thought, He does, and He's good with whatever form it takes. Not picky or rigid, as one might think. He's right there, and it's ok to talk to Him if you want. In the meantime, I'm on it. I'm on prayer duty. For you and for her. And thankful for people who care enough to be "inconvenienced" by doing for others. Germ-free hugs from here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sending those healing thoughts out to the universe for your Gigi. How fortunate that she was on the phone w/her bank at the time and that person did the right thing w/calling 911.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had no idea this was happening...thinking of you and sending out prayers.

    ReplyDelete